Head of Public Affairs
Organisation: ECTA (European Competitive Telecommunications Association)
Reporting Relationship: The post will report to the ECTA Executive Director.
The European Competitive Telecoms Association ("ECTA”) was set up in 1998 to represent the voice of telecommunications competition across Europe. ECTA represents the interests of more than 100 competitive telecoms operators and service providers across Europe including major alternative carriers in Europe, equipment suppliers, professional firms, and national trade associations.
This is an exciting time in the telecoms sector and the individual can expect to be engaging with influential policy-makers from European and national institutions and to contribute to debates on key issues such as the review of the European Electronic Communications Code.
Key Areas of Accountability:
The scope of the role will depend on the individual selected, and could include:
- Maintain, drive and extend ECTA’s relations with the European Parliament, the Council and potentially liaising also with other institutions and stakeholders;
- Perform a key role in researching, analysing and representing ECTA’s public policy agenda;
- Develop, articulate and execute strategies to favourably position ECTA within the public policy debate;
- Develop and execute ECTA’s communications and PR strategy including the drafting of PR materials, with a focus on promoting competition in the telecoms sector;
- Potentially lead policy for the association on various regulatory topics (for example ePrivacy, Data retention, eCommerce, online platforms and copyright);
- The preparation of notes, presentations, briefings and the development/coordination of policy positions including consensus building amongst ECTA’s members;
- Identify, anticipate and advise on EU political and legislative developments, plus the associated risks and opportunities for ECTA members, and develop and implement action plans to address them;
- Actively stay informed and current on all developments that might impact ECTA and its members and keep internal stakeholders informed on a timely basis;
- Actively participate in internal debates and provide your unique expertise to contribute, enrich and foster the thinking process;
- Contribute to the arrangement of ECTA’s flagship events such as the annual ECTA Regulatory Conference.
- First-class written and verbal communications skills in English and preferably also with proficiency in French. Other languages would be an asset;
- Extensive knowledge of the European institutions, profound knowledge of the EU legislative process and climate, combined with sound and practical business judgment and common sense;
- A strong network with EU policy stakeholders, with a demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at senior corporate and political levels;
- A clear understanding of and interest in competition policy and wider regulations applying to the electronic communications sector; Knowledge and understanding of the digital economy from both a business and policy perspective would be an asset;
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills and the ability to build relations with policy-makers as well as ECTA’s wide member base;
- A university degree, for instance in communication, political science, economics or law;
- Team-minded, flexible and with a consensual approach and strong organisational skills and able to work well in a small team;
- Conceptual thinking, assertiveness, pro-active, able to work on own initiative;
- Ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Upholding the highest ethical standards at all times and with high integrity and loyalty.
Our Offer: We offer a competitive salary based on levels of skills and experience plus a comprehensive range of benefits in a good, vibrant, meaningful and empowered working environment.
Applications, in English, should be sent by email no later than 19 May 2017 to Sara Russell email@example.com, and should consist of (i) a motivation letter, (ii) an up-to-date résumé, (iii) examples in English of written work preferably related to digital/telecoms policy or regulation and (iv) how you became aware about this job opportunity.
Only applications fulfilling all requested items will be considered.